cvsup takes too long?

N.J. Mann njm at njm.f2s.com
Tue Nov 28 17:43:24 GMT 2006

On Tue 28 Nov 17:24, Progga wrote:

> I was updating the ports collection inside a jail using CVSUP
> (cvsup2.uk.freebsd.org) 2/3 days ago and it took well over eight hours to
> complete.  Is this normal behaviour?

No it is not normal.  I update at just after 5am each day and on this
slow old machine it takes less than 10 minutes: it depends on how busy
the ports team have been and how busy the server is.  Some of the
FreeBSD core machines were moved recently and that did have an impact on
CVSup'ing.  I noticed that as CVSup'ing the source tree took a long
time.  But that was the weekend before last, not the one just gone.
Perhaps there is a problem with cvsup2.uk.freebsd.org - I use
cvsup3.uk.freebsd.org

Have you tried running fastest_cvsup ?

Cheers,
       Nick.