vmware-player

Kevin O'Connor kevin at ziptek-technologies.co.uk
Sat May 20 16:47:38 BST 2006

Sandor

I've done some playing with the vmware3 port on FreeBSD 6 to see what your
problem might be.
Please run portsnap fetch, to insure you have the latest version of the
port, then run portsnap extract, update  then do a fresh build of the port,
please make clean first.

I found the following problems after a successful build
The /compat/linux/proc   directory does not exist and requires manual
creation

"mkdir /compat/linux/proc"
Then
"Kldload linprocfs"
Then
"mount -t linprocfs linprocfs /compat/linux/proc

When I attempted to run the command vmware in a shell I got an error about
/dev/vmmon  not existing, this seems to be due to vmmon_up.ko not loading so
load it manually

"kldload  <path to vmmon_up.ko>   #this should create /dev/vmmon

Re-running the vmware command under a normal user in X launched the
application.

Please try and see if by following these steeps you can get it working.

Regards
Kevin