The joys of ZSH! (Re: What we're doing with FreeBSD (was Re: Newbies or trolls?))

S. Anthony Sequeira tony at sequeira.org.uk
Tue May 16 21:08:48 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 20:43 +0100, James O'Gorman wrote:
> Since I made the switch from Debian, I've honestly never looked back.
> It's a much easier system to administer, and works wonderfully most of
> the time (hey, nothing works 100% all of the time). Things like the
> base
> system and kernel being a whole, rather than lots of separate things
> just seems to make more sense and makes for a much easier upgrade.

This is my quibble with FreeBSD.  AFAIK there is _no_ easy upgrade path
from major version to major version, whereas Debian does have the
admirable 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.  If things have changed, I would be
extremely happy to know.

I still have a FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE server that I need to upgrade, I have
just managed to move all the services off it, and will probably be
installing Debian for this very reason.

This is just about the only thing stopping me from using BSD, I am very
impressed with what I have seen.
--
S. Anthony Sequeira
++