What we're doing with FreeBSD (was Re: Newbies or trolls?)

John Murphy sub02 at freeode.co.uk
Tue May 16 20:05:29 BST 2006

Geraint Edwards <gedge-lists at yadn.org> wrote:

>John Murphy <sub02 at freeode.co.uk> said
>		(on Tue, May 16, 2006 at 04:34:25PM +0100):
>> I keep finding new wonders: tcsh's 'tab' file name completion was always
>> quite impressive, but I only just realised it works in the ftp client as
>> well.  Its history mechanism is very fine,
>
>As an ex-tcsh user, (then sh, then bash, then ksh, now zsh) can I
>implore you to ditch anything C-shell-related and "upgrade" to
>Bourne shells - and, particularly, zsh.

Thanks for the suggestion.  tcsh is always there though and seems to do
everything I need very well.  I'll certainly have a look at zsh docs
though, in case there's some feature I can't live without.

>> except when I type 'ex' and
>> forget to up-arrow before I hit return and find myself in the ex editor,
>> which I can never seem to get out of
>
>Just type "q<Enter>".

Hah! :) It's just like (n)vi then, in fact a quick look at the man page
reveals it _is_ vi!

--
Thanks, John.