What we're doing with FreeBSD (was Re: Newbies or trolls?)

Geraint Edwards gedge-lists at yadn.org
Tue May 16 17:41:45 BST 2006

John Murphy <sub02 at freeode.co.uk> said
		(on Tue, May 16, 2006 at 04:34:25PM +0100):
> I keep finding new wonders: tcsh's 'tab' file name completion was always
> quite impressive, but I only just realised it works in the ftp client as
> well.  Its history mechanism is very fine,

As an ex-tcsh user, (then sh, then bash, then ksh, now zsh) can I
implore you to ditch anything C-shell-related and "upgrade" to
Bourne shells - and, particularly, zsh.

Firstly, you'll never regret the move from C-shells to proper
Bourne shells (well, I do a *lot* of shell scripting, and I've
never looked back - /the/world works in Bourne shells).

Secondly, zsh seems to have the best of both (C- and Bourne-)
worlds, so you can have your cake and eat it - even though the
zsh prompt has a '%' by default - ick, how 1980s.  ;-)

Most Bourne shells these days also have tab-completion (for commands,
users, files, user-programmable stuff).  For instance, these *keystrokes*
produce identical command lines in csh and zsh:
	% ls /usr/local/bin/perl /usr/local/bin/perldoc
	% ls !*
	% ls !:1 !:2
	% ls !:1 !$
(hit <TAB> at the end of these history references if you want to check/edit them...)
	% ls !:1 !#:1<TAB>doc
(in this last one !#:1 refers to the 1st argument of *this* line)

> except when I type 'ex' and
> forget to up-arrow before I hit return and find myself in the ex editor,
> which I can never seem to get out of

Just type "q<Enter>".

> I'm impressed.  Many thanks to all contributers.

Seconded.

--
Gedge