What we're doing with FreeBSD (was Re: Newbies or trolls?)

Alex Dyas alex.dyas at interoute.com
Tue May 16 16:57:08 BST 2006

Hi all,

Thought I'd come out of the shadows and chip in - My FreeBSD activities
are confined mainly to home, though I try and fly the flag as often as
possible during my otherwise Linux and Solaris based day job at an ISP.

Outside work I run a FreeBSD 6.0 file server at home, SATA RAID1 using a
Highpoint 1640 which I'm very pleased with (Highpoint supplied drivers
work a treat).  When I have time I hack away at a PHP/PostgreSQL project
I've been toying with for a while.  My desktop machine is an 800MHz iBook.

I'm looking into shelling out for a rack mount server as I've just been
offered free co-located hosting as a work perk.  Almost convinced myself
that a Dell 2850 will do the job, loads of space for extra storage later
on.  I'd like to have gone for a SuperMicro but getting hold of one in
Switzerland has not been easy and I know Dell hardware from my day job.

Alex (ex-pat, living in Switzerland).
--
-= Alex Dyas , UNIX , Interoute , Geneva =-