sound card/CD player

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Sun May 14 16:04:12 BST 2006

On Sat, May 13, 2006 at 11:12:56PM +0100, Edmund Craske wrote:

> Well firstly, check that your CD drive is actually connected to your
> sound card with one of those 4 pin/2 pin cables (analog/digital,
> respectively), otherwise you're never gonna hear anything!

AFAICR I never connected a cable between card and drive but it works
in Windows in that I can play CDs and the music comes out of the sound
card.

> After that,
> you'll need to unmute and raise the volume of the CD channel in the
> mixer, though I couldn't say how to do that in your instance.

The values given by mixer look OK:

$ mixer

Recording source: mic
Mixer vol      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer bass     is currently set to  50:50
Mixer treble   is currently set to  50:50
Mixer synth    is currently set to  75:75
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
Mixer line     is currently set to  75:75
Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer cd       is currently set to  75:75
Mixer igain    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer ogain    is currently set to  50:50
Mixer monitor  is currently set to  75:75

BTW:

$ cat /dev/sndstat

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <CMedia CMI8738> at io 0xa400 irq 18 kld snd_cmi (1p/1r/0v channels duplex default)

--

 Frank

echo "f r a n k @ e s p e r a n c e - l i n u x . c o . u k" | sed 's/ //g'

                      --->PGP keyID: 0x10BD6F4B<---