System restoration

Dan Nicholls d.a.nicholls at gmail.com
Fri May 12 21:55:39 BST 2006

Dear all,

Many thanks for the suggestions of various books. I will get round to ordering one soon...I know I could download it off
the net but as I said to someone earlier, I can't take my laptop to the bath with me!

I've been playing with FreeBSD for a couple of days now and have managed to get xfce up with a couple of apps, and one
thing I've noticed is that FreeBSD takes longer to set up than Windows does (although it is worth it, my laptop has
never been quicker). But it did get me thinking about what happens when the system goes down...like Windows frequently
did and required reinstallation.

Now I doubt FreeBSD with crash itself, but I can see me messing something up along the way which will mean rebuilding
everything. I'll be moving house soon so I won't have an internet connection for a few weeks and I'm reliant on the net
for downloading packages and so on...

...soo if I do screw something up and everything goes down, are there any easy ways to recover gracefully...without an
internet connection...?

Ta muchly,

Dan :-)