Manchester BSDUG - 4th April 2006

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Tue Mar 28 11:45:17 BST 2006

Manchester BSD User Group - 4th April 2006

The next Manchester BSD User Group meeting will be held on the 4th
April at our now usual venue - the SandBar, Grosvenor St., Manchester
at 7:30pm.

What is it?
-----------

If you've never been before, this is an occasion where a group of
people who work with, play with, develop with and tinker with the
various BSD operating systems (Free, Net, Open, Darwin and OS X) meet
up and talk about anything and everything. This month the favourite
contenders for 'most likely to be discussed issues' are:

* The 2006 'April 1st' RFC (never going to be better than RFC1149)
* An assortment of issues discussed at the 65th IETF meeting last
week that looked like they *could* be April 1st RFCs, but sadly
weren't (classic thread on one list last week entitled "Why don't we
revive T/TCP?")
* If Apple do hold a product launch on their 30th birthday, whatever
it is they announce will no doubt be ridiculed, scorned, criticised
and mocked whilst we all work out how we're going to get the money to
buy one.
* Life without watching TV. This meme is strong this moon.
* Experiments in polyphasic sleep so as to be able to write more
code. Hint: OhgodIjustwanttosleep....
* I really need a very low-power Windows box to do some testing on.
Suggestions?

Talk is often not particularly technical, although technical topics
do come up
and are welcomed by all. In short, we're a bunch of geeks who've
agreed to
meet down the pub, numbering half a dozen or so typically.

When is it?
-----------

The Manchester BSD User Group meeting happens on the first Tuesday of
every month. The next one is therefore on the 4th April. The one
after this will be in April. Put it in your calendar now. There is an
iCal feed that makes sweet, sweet love to your calendar application
here:

http://www.ukuug.org/cgi-bin/diary/manchesterbug/ics-feed.cgi

The drinking, talking and general festivities will commence at
7:30pm. Typically, we tend to finish up some time around 9pm, with a
few sometimes staying on later.

Where is it?
------------

We now meet at the SandBar on Grosvenor Street, Manchester, M1 7HL.
It is a friendly bar, bohemian style furniture, real ale, imported
draught and bottled lager and WiFi. It is a large place with a "no-
smoking" back room where we may be hidden if it is a busy night.

Unfortunately, if you put the postcode for the SandBar into any
online mapping tool, it actually directs you to the middle of the MMU
campus, so if you don't know where you're headed, please feel free to
email me or one of the lists (last month somebody did this and it got
marked as spam in my inbox, so mail the list!). You won't get
directions, we'll just photo you being lost in the middle of MMU
campus... :-) No, really, we'll help.

Anything else?