How to archive mail?

Stephen Allen freebsduk at rowyerboat.com
Fri Mar 24 22:43:37 GMT 2006

Hello, this isn't strictly a FreeBSD question (except that I'm using
it), but I can't seem to find an answer.

I have a situation in which a number of users have 10,000+ messages in
the maildir, going back a few years.  I'm not a fan of this many files
lying around so I'd like to set up some kind of archiving, but one that
will allow user's access to the old mails should they wish to see them.

I thought of a cron job trying to sift through messages pulling those
what were older than x days, then writing some script to process a
request from a user (date/time/from/to/subject/body text) and copy
matching messages to a "query" folder in that user's maildir.  However,
a) I'm not good at this kind of thing, and b) I have a feeling it's
already been done before.

I could just allow users to mount/map to the location of the ancient
messages, and let them use Windows search facility to find what they
need, but this would be very network intensive, so I'm reluctant to take
this easy route.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please... is their software
around to do this already?

Many thanks,
Steve :)