Uninstalling ssmtp

Ceri Davies ceri at submonkey.net
Sat Mar 4 11:47:13 GMT 2006

--UHN/qo2QbUvPLonB

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 04:48:24PM -0000, CB wrote:
> Hello
>=20
> I just got a copy of Bryan Costales "Bat Book" on 'sendmail'.
>=20
> Trying to explore some of the procedures descibed, I'm running into probs
> because I previously installed the reduced-function 'ssmtp' as a port,
> following the guidance in #24.8 of the online FreeBSD Handbook. Now I can=
't
> seem to uninstall it, and the man pages and online documentation are sile=
nt.
>=20
> Probably I'm missing something or doing something stupid.
>=20
> If I do a fresh install of a recent 'sendmail' version - say V8.12 - will
> that automatically disable 'ssmtp'?

No.  Here is a quick list of the things you will want to do:

	1. Backup your system, especially /etc and /usr/local/etc

	2. Stop the ssmtp software from running (if it run as a
	   daemon).

	3. Remove the ssmtp package:

		pkg_delete ssmtp\*

	4. Remove all traces of ssmtp from /etc/rc.conf (if there are
	   some).

	5. Edit /etc/mailer.conf and change all of the entries back
	   to /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail

	6. Edit /etc/mail/*cf to suit your sendmailing needs.

	7. Edit /etc/rc.conf and set the sendmail_ variables depending
	   on your needs, your FreeBSD version and the colour of the
	   nearest parked car.

That probably about does it.

Ceri
--=20