Samba and Domain Groups

Stephen Allen freebsduk at rowyerboat.com
Thu Jun 29 21:32:44 BST 2006

I've just read a shocking statement in The Official Samba-3 HOWTO, that
says it doesn't support nested groups.  I've read a lot of things that
Samba can't do, which now make me question if it is the right solution
for me.

I run a 10-workstation (all 2000/XP) network, currently with Samba as a
standalone server.  There are obvious restrictions to this which is why
I was looking at making Samba a PDC, but I can't really think of a
reason why now.  The obvious benefit is centrally managed users/groups.

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience why Samba is a better choice
than a Windows-based server (apart from it's free)?

Thanks,
Steve :)