Struggling with the basics

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Tue Jun 27 23:00:07 BST 2006

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 07:42:59PM +0100, Stephen Allen wrote:

> I would prefer to use FreeBSD rather than Linux - if nothing else, for
> simplicity (different Linux flavours are just too different).  However,
> I'm struggling to keep interested because I can't get the basics set up
> correctly.

This is what this list is for!

> All this... at the console itself:
>
> a) vi/vim doesn't display the info bar at the bottom of the screen

For vim in your .vimrc:

set rulerformat=%-10.(%f%)\ %-6.(%h%m%r%)\ %=%04.(%l%)\ \ \ %P
set ruler

In vi:

:set ruler

> b) vi/vim doesn't seem to do syntax highlighting

For vim:

syntax on

in .vimrc.

For vi/ex, you're out of luck AFAIK

> c) bash doesn't seem to do color highlighting, eg. ls

alias ls="ls -G"

in .kshrc (should be same in .bashrc I think)

> d) Shift+3 gives a hash+newline, instead of a pound symbol

What does a £ symbol give you?

> e) Still can't type a euro symbol despite trying ISO-8859-15 from kbdmap

In vim: Ctl-k Cu

:help dig

> f) The 'Delete' key operates as the 'Backspace' key instead of normal
> delete-right

At a bash prompt? Or in vim? If vim, try set bs=2 in vimrc

> I realise the answer is probably more to do with the configuration of
> each package, but I don't get the same problems in Linux.  They all look
> so simple, but they're playing havoc with my ability to work properly on
> FreeBSD.

The trouble you're having is minor. Once you've sorted out these
niggles and set up bashrc and vimrc to your satisfaction, you're good
to go.

> Any help anyone can give would be most appreciated.

A couple of other tweaks for your .bashrc

export LESS="-Xrmj3z-3 -Pm?f%f\:\ .?pb%pb\%\ :?lt%lt. .?e(END)"
export LSCOLORS="gxfxcxdxbxegedabagacad"

less(1) and ls(1) give the details.