How well would BSD run on this laptop

Spadge spadge at fromley.net
Sat Jun 24 18:40:22 BST 2006

Jamie White wrote:
> Hi
> I have an old laptop with a 400mhz processor, 256mb RAM and 2.2 gig hard
> disk. Would this laptop run BSD with X and KDE at a decent speed?
> Jamie

Yes, and you'll even be able to watch mpegs, although not fullscreen
divx on it.

Last time I lost my desktop workstation, I was forced to use my server
as a temporary replacement. That was a celeron 400. Of course, that was
back in fbsd4.x days, so I don't know about how well it'd work on a more
recent version.

My advice to you at this stage would be to get hold of FreeSBIE (
http://www.freesbie.org/ ) and see if it'll boot off the CD and how well
it runs.

--
Spadge