Portupgrade or Portmanager

Geraint Edwards gedge-lists at yadn.org
Tue Jun 20 11:09:36 BST 2006

Spadge <spadge at fromley.net> said
		(on Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 03:31:36AM +0100):
> What are the differences, and which one is recommended?
> Is one of them being retired soon?
> What's the best/easiest way?

I use portupgrade because it's older (more stable?) and the
(official?) documentation (e.g. /usr/ports/UPDATING) uses it
in examples.  It's reliable.

However, portupgrade depends on lang/ruby*, which - if you don't
need ruby for anything else - is a big install and often requires
updates of its own, which can add to download/upgrade times and
some extra disk space.

I don't know anything about portmanager, but I will mention that
portmaster (author: Doug Barton) may be worth considering too:

http://dougbarton.us/portmaster

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=194499+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2006/freebsd-ports/20060108.freebsd-ports

portmaster is quite new, and development is moving at quite a
pace.  I am considering moving to portmaster at some point,
because it's not ruby-based and it'll be easier for me to
read/understand its internals should I need to hack it.

--
Geraint A. Edwards (aka "Gedge")
gedge at yadn.org