Tape Jukebox

aaa comms arb at aaa-comms.com
Mon Jun 19 18:54:40 BST 2006

Vote me in for bacula it is simple and effective, as for tapes I have =
moved
away from them as they really are more trouble than they are worth. Also
bearing in mind you can buy a couple of 400 GB SATA drives for less than =
the
cost of an autochanger and tapes installing them in a RAID 1 with =
freeNAS
http://www.freenas.org/ is simply just to easy.

IMHO the days of tapes are pretty much gone, bandwidth is getting =
cheaper so
off site is available for a small premium, for example I backup a =
postgress
DB from Russia each night which is 4.6GB in size, to a freeNAS solution
using 7d+52W+12M+1y and still have around 150GB to play with.

It's up to you, I love resurrecting old hardware and making it dance =
(still
have a Pentium pro with 64MB and a 12GB quantum fireball) doing DNS, and =
as
much as I love saving kit from the bin backups count, so do them =
reliably as
you may actually wish to restore from them :D

Sincerely a.r.b.