Tape Jukebox

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Mon Jun 19 15:22:52 BST 2006

On 19 Jun 2006, at 15:17, Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:

> Anyone sucessfully using stacker tape jukeboxes with FreeBSD?
> Luckily I
> only have a few gig to backup, but the single tape just isn't getting
> changed on a daily basis as it is supposed to.  I am envisioning a
> stacker
> that only needs its cartridge changed once a week or so.

I have seen autoloading tape robots work with FreeBSD fine, but...

... I have never seen a 100% successful restore from backup. Tape
always seems to crap out on the restore side of things.

Can I suggest a cheap dedicated server with a load of bandwdith and a
copy of boxbackup instead?

http://www.fluffy.co.uk/boxbackup/

I know it's a low version number/beta, but I've been using it for a
while without any major problems and backing up over the network onto
another disk just makes me feel a bit more secure. And no need to
remember to go and change anything either.

Just really make sure you take a backup of the keys it uses to
encrypt everything!

> USB dongles get much denser and I'll just be using those instead...

Now has anybody got a USB dongle to work 100% flawlessly with a Mac?