Samba woes

Martin Smith martin at rakupottery.org.uk
Fri Jun 16 23:11:55 BST 2006

Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:
> Sigh.  I always figure things out after desperately posting.  The bizarre
> problem seems to be that WindowsXP sends the WINDOWS login name as the
> "username" when attempting to access the share, even though a login box
> pops up and asks for a username.  In my test case, of course, the WINDOWS
> login name and the UNIX login name were different.  Though I repeatedly
> typed in the UNIX login name in the pop up box, it sent the WINDOWS login
> name instead (according to the auth failures in the log).  Can anyone shed
> light on this?
>
> I was totally wrong on the log stuff also.  I was only looking in log.smbd
> and log.nmbd, which really don't have any auth stuff in them.  But I found
> log.<machine name> which at level 3 has all kinds of useful auth debugging
> info.
>
> Thanks!

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2006, Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:
>

>> I really do my best to stay away from all things MS, but have recently
>> been given the task of creating a samba based file server for a small
>> office environment.  I was pleasantly surprised to find "swat" (it has
>> been a long time since I did samba!).  I was unpleasantly surprised to
>> find how !@*^$# difficult it seems to be to get authentication working.
>>
>> For the record I am on 6.1-RC1 using Samba 2.2.12.  Note that after
>> updating the ports tree, I could not build samba3... I get some message
>> about 'sperl should not be run directly'.  Trying to install from packages
>> failed too - something about the tiff dependancy.  2.2.12 built ok, after
>> removing the FORBIDDEN line from the Makefile.  Sigh.
>>
>> My biggest issue is having no idea where to look for log info to debug why
>> I cannot seem to connect.  I have the log level set to '3', but I see no
>> info in the various log files I find in /var/log that has anything to do
>> with the authentication failures.
>>
>> I cannot get even the simplest setup to function!  All I really want is a
>> world read/writable share that all office PC's have access to, then each
>> PC has access to a "home" share based on the user logging in.  According
>> to the SWAT wizard, this is basically the default.  I have all the UNIX
>> users in the UNIX password file, the security level set to "user", and
>> encrypted passwords set to yes.  According to the smb.conf man page this
>> should be enough.  I try to connect from any PC using the URL \\fs\tmp
>> (for the world read/write share), which pops up a login box, but refuses
>> to accept any valid UNIX user/pass pair.  And leaves no log messages
>> regarding the authentication, even at level 3 (though I do see messages
>> about the server being connected to, then a normal disconnect).  I even
>> tried to add one of the UNIX user/pass pairs to the smbpasswd file, which
>> I thought was only needed if you were creating a PDC, which I am *not*
>> trying to do.  But that didn't work either.
>>
>> I guess I am looking for any simple things to look for, or a pointer to
> [...]
With xp and 2k, when you set up the mapped network drive, which IMO is
the best way to do it, you get the option "log in as a different user"
or similar, the only problem with that is that windows wont remember the
password for the "different user".
I always use SWAT for setting up, you have to set up users and their
passwords and then enable them, that's the last button on the right.
I also use force user and force group, with a + before the group name,
the share being owned by the user and group you are forcing, this gives
everyone equal rights, assuming that is what you want.
If that doesnt work, get back to us.

--
Martin Smith