Most recent FreeBSD Handbook

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jun 10 11:26:40 BST 2006

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Stephen Allen wrote:

> I'm trying to get to grips with FreeBSD, coming from a Windows/Linux
> background.  I would like to buy a copy of the handbook, but I don't seem to
> be able to find a recent version.  The web-handbook has last copyright of
> 2006, but all the published books I've found are nowhere near that date.

Hmm.  There's an interesting question.  I've e-mailed Murray Stokely, who
still does work with FreeBSD Mall, to ask what their publication plans for the
printed handbook are.  I know they publish at intervals of a year or two, but
I'm not sure when they will do so next.

There are also other printed FreeBSD books from a number of publishers,
including Absolute BSD by Michael Lucas, a member of the FreeBSD documentation
team.  That's also likely growing a little long in the tooth, and I have some
hope he's working on a new addition in the post 6.x world.

Robert N M Watson