I need a broadband recommendation

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Tue Jul 25 16:58:58 BST 2006

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 02:11:36PM +0100, hammond.mason at uk.abnamro.com wrote:

> My home broadband supplier/ISP is OneTel and I am becomming unhappy with
> their performance.
> I have a '2MB' package that - per the small print - is 'up to' 2MB/s.  In
> the past month I have not been able to download ISOs at more than 230KB/s.
> I feel I'm getting ripped off.
> Can anyone recommend an alternative ISP for broadband that guarantees a
> minimum 2MB/s download bandwidth?

As others have mentioned, you're not getting ripped off but should you
want to change I'll recommend my own ISP: http://www.zetnet.com/

They're a bit pricier than others but I get a static IP (which means I
can host my own website without too much mucking about), no outages,
uncapped line and excellent technical support.

It helps that I know the lead tech and they run Linux so we're not
talking at cross-purposes. (I only bug him on rare occasions though).

> P.S.  I managed to install PC-BSD on my system over the weekend and am
> really impressed with it so far (it's my first contact with FreeBSD, coming
> from a XP-to-Linux-to-FreeBSD background)

Well done! You shouldn't regret it.

First thing to do is cvsup or portsnap your ports tree:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/portsnap.html

--

 Frank