I need a broadband recommendation

Geraint Edwards gedge-lists at yadn.org
Tue Jul 25 15:03:25 BST 2006

Spadge Fromley <spadge at fromley.net> said
		(on Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 02:21:28PM +0100):
> > I have a '2MB' package [..] 'up to' 2MB/s.  [..]
> > 230KB/s.
>
> Hmm, how much is 2mbits in KBytes? About 256?
>
> Or did you really mean to say that you're getting something like 30KBytes
> per second download?

Watch out, I'm donning my pendant...

Lower case:
	b = bits
	k = kilo-
	m = milli- (prefix) or metres (units)

Upper case:
	B = bytes
	K = kelvins[1]
	M = mega-

Please make a careful note of the above. :)

What most ISPs offer is Mbps or Mb/s (e.g. 2Mbps ADSL)
What most people see quoted by programs is kB/s.
Typically, you get ~200kB/s download on a 2Mb/s line.

I have Plusnet (to 8Mbps) DSL (and get ~4Mbps because I am 2.5km
from the exchange).  They recently royally screwed up their
mail[2], so will be desparate for customers at the mo.  I don't
use their mail systems much.  They are generally fine, though.
I'm sure they will be more careful in the future, which may be a
good thing for new customers (no price hikes or better).
Their honesty is disarming (see URL).  :)

If you choose Plusnet, let me know, cos they do a discount for
referrals.  Ahem.

I also have NTL cable (like Ceri) and (also like Ceri) think it's
fab.  NTL support has been crap, but then I've barely had to use
it.  The line Just Works[tm]!

I cannot comment on the usefulness of either for p2p downloads.
My only regular bandwidth-hogging is done for gaming and voip.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvin
[2] http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&support_action=archive&ispservice_id=&page=3
	(URL may change, but between 9th and 11th July 2006).
--
Geraint A. Edwards (aka "Gedge")
gedge at yadn.org