I need a broadband recommendation

hammond.mason at uk.abnamro.com hammond.mason at uk.abnamro.com
Tue Jul 25 14:40:22 BST 2006

Thanks Paul.  You and Spadge have pointed out my errors.  OMG I feel like
an idiot.

             Paul Robinson
             <paul at iconoplex.c
             o.uk>                                                      To
                                       hammond.mason at uk.abnamro.com
             25/07/2006 14:34                                           cc
                                       freebsd-users at uk.freebsd.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: I need a broadband
                                       recommendation

On 25 Jul 2006, at 14:11, hammond.mason at uk.abnamro.com wrote:

> I have a '2MB' package that - per the small print - is 'up to' 2MB/
> s.  In
> the past month I have not been able to download ISOs at more than
> 230KB/s.

You're confusing line speed descriptions.

You get sold a line at 2 MegaBITS per second. You are then
downloading at 230 KiloBYTES per second. Do the maths, and you'll see
that's quite acceptable.

Industry standard terminology, and if you wanted 2 MegaBYTES per
second, you would obviously need something a line speed of at least
16 Megabits.

The other thing to look out for is bandwidth caps. I almost upgraded
my NTL line from 2Mb to 10Mb until I noticed that 2Mb is uncapped,
but 10Mb is capped to 2 Gigabytes a month...

privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by
return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised
use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly
prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change. ABN AMRO
Bank N.V, which has its seat at Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and is
registered in the Commercial Register under number 33002587, including its
group companies, shall not be liable for the improper or incomplete
transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any
delay in its receipt or damage to your system. ABN AMRO Bank N.V. (or its
group companies) does not guarantee that the integrity of this
communication has been maintained nor that this communication is free of
viruses, interceptions or interference.