I need a broadband recommendation

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Tue Jul 25 14:34:17 BST 2006

On 25 Jul 2006, at 14:11, hammond.mason at uk.abnamro.com wrote:

> I have a '2MB' package that - per the small print - is 'up to' 2MB/
> s.  In
> the past month I have not been able to download ISOs at more than
> 230KB/s.

You're confusing line speed descriptions.

You get sold a line at 2 MegaBITS per second. You are then
downloading at 230 KiloBYTES per second. Do the maths, and you'll see
that's quite acceptable.

Industry standard terminology, and if you wanted 2 MegaBYTES per
second, you would obviously need something a line speed of at least
16 Megabits.

The other thing to look out for is bandwidth caps. I almost upgraded
my NTL line from 2Mb to 10Mb until I noticed that 2Mb is uncapped,
but 10Mb is capped to 2 Gigabytes a month...