Freebsd, Debian, Windows on same PC

Richard Smedley richard.smedley03 at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 25 09:38:33 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 01:17 +0100, tomasz dereszynski wrote:

> JW> btw, I am not interesting in putting any of these OS's in a virtual
> JW> machine for one reason and another. Also as for the XP knows best, I
> JW> know, fortunately for me XP comes preinstalled on the laptop, so I
> JW> just have to resize its partition.

> resize partition using 'partition magic' or similar tool - 40GB for
> windows - rest live unused
> and install in order ... as you like - don't forget to live unused
> space for next system...

You could use a version of PartEd from the Mepis or Ubuntu GNU/Linux
live CDs to resize your W XP partition. First scan and de-fragment it,
or it will not resize.

As to GRUB, after you have finished your *nix install, create a GRUB
boot-floppy (or use another removable boot medium if your laptop
is too new to have a floppy disk drive), and you won't be stuck if
Windows needs to be re-installed, and stamps on your MBR. You can also
back up your MBR and partition table to a file on your GNU or BSD
partition, and restore them after booting from a live disk or CD.

 - Richard

--
Richard Smedley,                                      RichardS at bvsc.org
Free Software Evangelist,