[Fwd: Re: Freebsd, Debian, Windows on same PC]

James O'Gorman james at jamesog.net
Mon Jul 24 23:46:09 BST 2006

Jamie White wrote:
> Hi
> I am looking for the easiest effective way of getting FreeBSD, Debian
> Linux and Windoze XP. I am going to be putting them on a laptop with a
> 40 gb HD. I would prefer to use Lilo or Grub as the boot loader.
> Jamie

Work out how much space you want to give to each OS (e.g. Windows 10GB,
FreeBSD 20GB, Debian 10GB).

Install Windows first. It's happiest being on the first partition if
there are no other Windows installations.
Install FreeBSD next - as you want to use GRUB/LILO you might as well
install Debian last.

Job done :-)

(FWIW, I actually have a dev box that has FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD
installed on it. That was actually more difficult to do than it sounds.
The NetBSD partitioner confused me somewhat.)

James