Totally new to FreeBSD

hammond.mason at uk.abnamro.com hammond.mason at uk.abnamro.com
Thu Jul 20 15:12:49 BST 2006

Hello,
I am new to this forum and new to FreeBSD.  In fact, so new that I have not
yet installed FreeBSD on my system.  In this respect, I was hoping someone
could give me some guidance.
I have purchased a couple of books to get me going (they're in the post):

FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your Personal Computer
FreeBSD Handbook (3rd Edn): Volumes I and II

I wanted to know which release of BSD I should download and install.
Should I go straight to 6.1 or should I fall back to 4.4 or should I
download a different release?
I read the 5.x series is to be avoided and that 6.0 had some issues.  Have
I been mislead?
Any advice you can give me is appreciated.
Kind regards
privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by
return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised
use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly
prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change. ABN AMRO
Bank N.V, which has its seat at Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and is
registered in the Commercial Register under number 33002587, including its
group companies, shall not be liable for the improper or incomplete
transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any
delay in its receipt or damage to your system. ABN AMRO Bank N.V. (or its
group companies) does not guarantee that the integrity of this
communication has been maintained nor that this communication is free of
viruses, interceptions or interference.