/etc/profile or /usr/local/etc/profile

Pete French pete at twisted.org.uk
Sat Jul 15 12:44:47 BST 2006

> I think you mean the programs which DON'T work rely on /etc/passwd !
> The ones that work use the getpwent  library calls. Checking /etc/

Well, in practice yes, obviously - but it makes for a poor example of
what I was trying to illustrate if you bring reality into it! :-)

I really wish netinfo had taken off - it's one of the things I miss most
from real NeXT systems when trying to manage a large network. That was
a very nice way to distribute out the contents of /etc in an easily
managed way.

-bat.