Help with man command

Aled Morris aledm at qix.co.uk
Sat Jul 15 09:41:49 BST 2006

Stephen Allen wrote:

> 'man man' tells me that the "-P" options specifies which pager to use.
> By default, man uses more -s, and overrides the PAGER environment
> variable.
>
> As I want man to use 'less' as it's pager, I set the PAGER variable to
> /usr/bin/less, but even after logging out and back in again, man
> continues to use more.  What's wrong and can it be fixed?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve :)

works for me:

$ echo $SHELL
/bin/sh
$ uname -a
FreeBSD gamma.qix.co.uk 6.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE #0: Sun May  7
04:42:56 UTC 2006
root at opus.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP  i386
$ PAGER="cat -n"
$ export PAGER
$ man man
     1  MAN(1)                  FreeBSD General Commands
Manual                MAN(1)
     2
     3  NAME
     4       man -- format and display the on-line manual pages
     5
etc
etc

Don't forget also that on FreeBSD, more is less:

$ ls -i /usr/bin/more /usr/bin/less
286798 /usr/bin/less    286798 /usr/bin/more

Aled