How long between major upgrades?

Jamie White jatos.software at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 15:00:10 BST 2006

On 7/6/06, Paul Robinson <paul at iconoplex.co.uk> wrote:
> On 5 Jul 2006, at 23:21, Stephen Allen wrote:
>
> > So, I'm learning and testing with FreeBSD 6.1.  What happens when
> > FreeBSD goes to 6.2, and then to 7?  What would the upgrade process
> > be like?
>
> Historically: minor versions are fine, major versions (4.x -> 5.x,
> etc.) are best described as potentially painful, but possible. Take
> backups.
>
> In theory, you can just cvsup up, read UPDATING and rebuild, run
> through things as per the handbook.
>
> The move between 3 and 4 was painful, as was the move between 4 and
> 5. I've yet to bite off moving to 6 on any production servers as 5 is
> good enough for me right now.
>
> Never had a major problem with a minor version number upgrade though,
> as long as you do things by the book.
>
> That said, it's a great deal better than FC which seems to go to
> great lengths to make things arbitrarily more complex than they need
> to be. I'm having to write code here that will work with MySQL 3.x
> because getting a more recent build onto some FC servers is a real pig.
>
> You can of course try it yourself if you want. Go get a copy of an
> older version of FreeBSD, set it up the way you want it, and try
> upgrading to a more recent version, and see how hard you find it.
> Good learning process, and gets you familiar with how everything
> plugs together when you're re-building stuff.
>
> HTH,
>
> Paul

When it comes to updating a build my personal method would where
possible to create an empty partition for the new version, install the
new version, then move all settings onto the new partition. The way I
setup my Unix build, the home directories have their own partition. I
haven't needed to do a major version upgrade myself yet, but this
method would strike as the safest as it would leave you with a copy of
your old data if it went wrong.
--
Jamie