General Samba usage

Stephen Allen freebsduk at rowyerboat.com
Sat Jul 1 21:04:11 BST 2006

Yet another Samba question...

Samba as a PDC supports roaming profiles.  In my limited trial and
knowledge so far, this means the entire profile (Documents and
Settings\USER) will be stored on the server.  I'm not sure how this will
work...

Will the profile be stored on the server, and will all writes to the
profile be written over the network to the server?

Will the profile be stored on the server, but synchronized transparently
with the local copy of the profile at login?

If so, will the local profile be synchronized with the server copy at
logout?

Will machines be able to login using a cached copy of the profile?

I am not yet at the stage where I can test these questions for myself
yet as I haven't gone that far, partly because I have these burning
questions!

Many thanks,
Steve :)