Manchester BSD UG - Tuesday 7th February

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Tue Jan 31 13:43:13 GMT 2006

             Manchester BSD User Group - 7th February 2005

The next Manchester BSD User Group meeting will be held on the 7th
February at our now familiar venue - the SandBar, Grosvenor St.,
Manchester at 7:30pm.

What is it?
-----------

If you've never been before, this is an occasion where a group of
people who work with, play with, develop and tinker with the various
BSD operating systems (including OS X, but that's another story...)
meet up and talk about anything and everything whilst having a few
drinks. This month the favourite contenders for 'most likely to be
discussed issues' are:

* Upcoming UK and European Conferences that we might be attending
* The FreeBSD TODO list for volunteers
* New Year sales baragins in the gadget department
* Intel Macs, and whether it's worth getting one...
* Various, mad Web 2.0 business ventures some of us are embarking on
(gulp!).

For the first time, I would also suggest a list of topics banned by
popular request due to over-discussion at previous meetings:

* Why Wiggy is a fan-boy of Ricardo Semler (quote from last meeting:
"One day we'll get through one of these meetings without talking
about that bloke...")
* Why Dave spends so much money on high-end A/V kit (quote from last
meeting: "How much? On a remote control? But... but.... why?")
* Theo de Raadt. Enough said. :-)

As you can see, talk is not particularly technical in nature,
although technical topics do come up and welcomed by all. In short,
we're a bunch of geeks who've agreed to meet down the pub, numbering
half a dozen or so typically.

When is it?
-----------

The Manchester BSD User Group meeting happens on the first Tuesday of
every month. The next one is therefore on the 7th February.

The drinking, talking and general festivities will commence at
7:30pm. Typically, we tend to finish up some time around 9pm with
some people finishing later (hic!).

_Provisional_ dates for the rest of 2006 are:

7th March; 4th April; 2nd May; 6th June; 11th July - *IMPORTANT*:
This is NOT the first Tuesday of the month, as the 4th July clashes
with a World Cup Semi-final, and SandBar will likely be "celebrating"
US Independence Day even if it isn't showing football; 1st August;
5th September; 3rd October; 7th November; 5th December.

Where is it?
------------

We meet at the SandBar on Grosvenor Street, Manchester, M1 7HL. It is
a friendly bar, bohemian in style, real ale, quality lagers, imported
bottled lager, a reasonable range of soft drinks, food occasionally,
and WiFi. It is a large place with a large no-smoking back room where
we may be hidden if the front and side rooms are full.

Unfortunately, if you put the postcode for the SandBar into any
online mapping
tool, it actually directs you to the middle of the MMU campus a few
hundred yards away, so if you don't know where you're headed, please
feel free to e-mail and ask.

Anything else?
--------------

Attendance has been variable in recent months, so if you could let us
know if
you're coming so we can look out for you. If it looks like only 2-3
people are
going to make it, we may decide to postpone it so it is worth letting
us know
if you want to attend.

You can get updates and announcements of new meetings by joining our
mailing
list - just send 'subscribe manchester' to majordomo at bsdgroups.org.uk

The meeting's home page is here: http://www.bsdgroups.org.uk/manchester/

Look forward to seeing you next Tuesday!