inetd

Derrin Morton derrin at usa.net
Fri Jan 20 07:56:17 GMT 2006

Hi

Newbie here

Machine:  HP nx9005 (Business laptop), AMD Athlon 4 2400+ 1.8 GHZ 512MB
RAM, 100GB 5400RPM Disk
BSD Details  (uname -a entry)
FreeBSD  6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #0: Thu Nov 3 09:36:13 UTC
2005    root at x64.samsco.home/usr/obj/usr/src/GENERIC  i386

Overall goal - drop Windows XP Professional
Five phases
    Install FreeBSD RELEASE 6.0 in VMware - just get working and test
hardware compatibility  issues -> At this stage
    Install FreeBSD RELEASE 6.0 in VMWare with X11 and Portage selection
    Install FreeBSD RELEASE 6.0 in a separate disk partition and dual
boot with Windows
    Run Windows / FreeBSD in parallel and port / migrate data and
applications
    Switch over to FreeBSD

Used the instructions to install the OS and followed the sysinstall
program - created the following inetd entries

ftp    stream    tcp46    nowait    root    /usr/libexec/ftpd    ftpd -l
login    stream    tcp46    nowait    root    /usr/libexec/rlogind
rlogind
ntalk    dgram    udp    wait    root    /usr/libexec/ntalkd    ntalkd
shell    stream    tcp46    nowait    root    /usr/libexec/rshd    rshd
ssh    stream    tcp46    nowait    root    /usr/sbin/sshd        sshd -i -6
telnet    stream    tcp46    nowait    root    /usr/libexec/telnetd
telnetd

But the following mesage pops up on the console every 20 minutes or so
inetd config : message [476] ssh/tcp: bind: Address already in use

Any ideas what this might be? How can detect the bind clash and
importantly get rid of this message?  Plus - where do I find message
details (i.e. 476 )

Apologies to wimp out this early, but I could spend the next two weeks
scrapping around the documentation and not find anything.  And after
attempting to use another Linux flavour , I really don't fancy that
Thanks

Derrin