Hello there

Zoe Parsons zoe at theasylum.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 4 23:39:31 GMT 2006

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006, Dominic Mitchell wrote:

> Sevan / Venture37 wrote:
>> Zoe Parsons wrote:
>>> I'm more tempted to give Debian kNetBSD/gnu a try than give that a go
>>> again at the moment. I was only installing it on one of my Sparcbook 3GX
>>> which is supposedly completely supported I just couldn't persuade it to
>>> boot from the disk for some reason... Whereas on another one I managed to
>>> get a Linux 2.6 kernel fully working despite Sparc32 supposedly now being
>>> on the way out... Ah well, c'est la vie.
>> OpenBSD is a much better choice for old sparc's
> Sometimes old sparcs just have to die.  I was sad to see the end of my
> sparcstation 2 (64Mb!  Powerhouse!), but it was loud and slow.  So slow,
> that it couldn't in fact complete an ssh2 connection because the
> connection timed out whilst it was still doing cryptographic sums...  In
> the end it was the battery (or lack thereof) wot dunnit though.
Shhh don't speak so loudly.... there's a small pile of Sparcs/Ultras
sitting downstairs thinking they're gonna keep going for another few years
yet.
Except the IPX and IPC, their hearing aids don't have any batteries
anymore...

--
If I don't reply, don't take it personally, I'm probably being incredibly
depressed again. :-)

Zoe Parsons   | skype:mpsonscix   |
zoe at theasylum.demon.co.uk   |   http://livejournal.com/~zoep
mpsons at cix.compulink.co.uk  |   ICQ:97984995
aim:mpsonscix  |  yim:mpsons_cix  |  msn:zoe at theasylum.demon.co.uk
Just because I might be logged onto these doesn't mean I'm there...