Hello there

Dominic Mitchell dom at happygiraffe.net
Sat Feb 4 23:26:17 GMT 2006

Sevan / Venture37 wrote:
> Zoe Parsons wrote:
>> I'm more tempted to give Debian kNetBSD/gnu a try than give that a
>> go again at the moment. I was only installing it on one of my
>> Sparcbook 3GX which is supposedly completely supported I just
>> couldn't persuade it to boot from the disk for some reason...
>> Whereas on another one I managed to get a Linux 2.6 kernel fully
>> working despite Sparc32 supposedly now being on the way out... Ah
>> well, c'est la vie.
> OpenBSD is a much better choice for old sparc's

Sometimes old sparcs just have to die.  I was sad to see the end of my
sparcstation 2 (64Mb!  Powerhouse!), but it was loud and slow.  So slow,
that it couldn't in fact complete an ssh2 connection because the
connection timed out whilst it was still doing cryptographic sums...  In
the end it was the battery (or lack thereof) wot dunnit though.

-Dom