Hello there

Zoe Parsons zoe at theasylum.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 4 19:44:25 GMT 2006

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006, Paul Robinson wrote:

>>> Heh, isn't it "The City of Brighton and Hove" these days?  ;-)
>> Not over this end it isn't. ;-)
> I've always been slightly surprised by how many BSD types seem to congregate
> around Brighton-ish way. Maybe it's because I'm a gruff Northerner who
> assumes the South is there for opulent indulgence of the uneducated middle
> classes, whilst all the cool kids hang up here. :-)
In my experience (admitedly mostly caused by hanging around the Cix end
of the Internet for many moons) most of the interesting stuff used to
happen in and around London. But then that's true of many things really.
;-)

> Of course, the first European BSD conf was in Brighton, notable in my mind
I admittedly remember hearing about that, and thinking how annoying it was
that it was arranged in Brighton just after I'd moved away to Uni. Good
timing. :-)

> Friday afternoons are for installing FreeBSD. Sundays are for designing and
> developing a new installer for NetBSD. Go on, you know you want to.
I'm more tempted to give Debian kNetBSD/gnu a try than give that a go
again at the moment. I was only installing it on one of my Sparcbook 3GX
which is supposedly completely supported I just couldn't persuade it to
boot from the disk for some reason... Whereas on another one I managed to
get a Linux 2.6 kernel fully working despite Sparc32 supposedly now being
on the way out... Ah well, c'est la vie.

> BTW, for those who haven't heard, booting *BSD on an intel Mac requires
> fiddling with EFI, which in turn is likely to brickify it. And you thought
> NetBSD on Mac kit was fiddly to get installed....
I wish I could reinstall my Mac... would unfortunately mean laying my
hands on an adaptor for the monitor and keyboard so I can find out if
it actually works after all this time... (look the Mac itself cost
only 2ukp and that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...).

--
If I don't reply, don't take it personally, I'm probably being incredibly
depressed again. :-)

Zoe Parsons   | skype:mpsonscix   |
zoe at theasylum.demon.co.uk   |   http://livejournal.com/~zoep
mpsons at cix.compulink.co.uk  |   ICQ:97984995
aim:mpsonscix  |  yim:mpsons_cix  |  msn:zoe at theasylum.demon.co.uk
Just because I might be logged onto these doesn't mean I'm there...