Freebsd-users digest, Vol 1 #1949 - 6 msgs

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Fri Feb 3 08:56:50 GMT 2006

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 02:19:48PM +0000, ed joyce wrote:

> To Phil/All
>
> I have installed FBSD/X Windows many times, but no
> luck on this occasion. The machine has been switched
> to Linux/Win4Lin so I can't play around with it any
> more.
>
> My plan is now to get another system which will be
>
> Asus motherboard
> FBSD compatible graphics card
> FBSD 6.0
>
> Any comments from anyone on which graphics card should
> be used or any info as to why this might run into
> problems would be appreciated.
>
> Regards
> Ed

I just built a machine to the same spec.

I went for a Nvidia card: the Asus motherboard was all Nvidia chips
and I've heard of people having less problems with Nvidia (Linux)
drivers than ATI ones.

As it is, I use the Xorg driver and it works fine.

I got one of their low end PCI-Express cards (64MB); as I don't do a
lot of graphics intensive stuff on this workstation.

The onboard ethernet on my Asus A8N motherboard didn't work with
FreeBSD (unsupported chipset, IIRC), so I splashed out on a new NIC. Apart
from that I've had no hardware or hardware/software problems.

I haven't investigated the possibilities of this machine making sound
yet or whether the parallel port and USB works (dmesg looks hopeful
for those last 2 though).

HTH

--

 Frank