Hi. Can anyone help with this installation problem?

John Murphy sub01 at freeode.co.uk
Wed Feb 1 23:50:00 GMT 2006

"Phil Cartledge" <phil at pcart.plus.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the input, I tried your suggestion but the results were the
>same - FreeBSD had no problems with the optical drives but failed to locate
>the hd.

It's quite unusual.  The VIA VT8235 southbridge chip is definitely
supported, according to 6's ata man page.

Another long shot I'm afraid; make sure the BIOS is set to assign
resources, rather than the OS.  Can't imagine that being _it_ though.

If you have access to another PC, it could be worth putting your HD in
that and installing the OS that way.  The generic kernel always seems
to work, regardless of differences between the hardware on which it was
installed, and where it ends up.  You would only need to do a minimal
install.  Should be possible to do the rest of the install when it's
back in your new PC.  Something seriously wrong if that doesn't work.

--
HTH, John.