Backup to DVD-R

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Tue Sep 20 20:55:36 BST 2005

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 01:55:49PM +0100, Chris Rodgers wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I would like to backup all the files on my FreeBSD system to DVD-R.=20
> Unfortunately, there isn't enough spare disk space to create a 4GB .iso=
=20
> first.
>=20
> Does anyone know how I might:
>=20
> tar up the contents of the disk to files < 2GB in size (the .iso file=20
> size limit)
> and then burn these onto a DVD-R
> all without creating temporary files?
>=20
> I'd appreciate any thought on how to do this.

I'm not sure how it works, but growisofs from the dvd+rw-tools package
can be used to write files onto DVD without creating a .iso file first.
I'm not sure how much temporary space it needs, though.=20
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-dvds.html
has more information.

--
Bruce Cran