Backup to DVD-R

S. Anthony Sequeira tony at sequeira.org.uk
Tue Sep 20 16:23:55 BST 2005

On Tue, September 20, 2005 13:55, Chris Rodgers said:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to backup all the files on my FreeBSD system to DVD-R.
> Unfortunately, there isn't enough spare disk space to create a 4GB
> .iso
> first.
>
> Does anyone know how I might:
>
> tar up the contents of the disk to files < 2GB in size (the .iso file
> size limit)
> and then burn these onto a DVD-R
> all without creating temporary files?
>
> I'd appreciate any thought on how to do this.

I'm just chucking ideas into the ring.  I haven't spent a lot of time
analysing your requirements, just hoping to kindle a spark.

Thought about named pipes?  When Unix used to have a 2GB file size
limit, I used a custom script that exported an Oracle database to a
named pipe, the output of which was compressed to a file (hopefully)
within the limit.  If the file was still too large, split (1) came in
useful prior to the actual writing.  I'm sure there are web references
out there somewhere.

Cheers.
--
Tony