Backup to DVD-R

Chris Rodgers freebsd-users-uk at bulk.rodgers.org.uk
Tue Sep 20 13:55:49 BST 2005

Hi,

I would like to backup all the files on my FreeBSD system to DVD-R.
Unfortunately, there isn't enough spare disk space to create a 4GB .iso
first.

Does anyone know how I might:

tar up the contents of the disk to files < 2GB in size (the .iso file
size limit)
and then burn these onto a DVD-R
all without creating temporary files?

I'd appreciate any thought on how to do this.

Otherwise, I have a USB 2 hard disk that I could use for scratch space.
Will that work under FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE?

As a final alternative, would that USB hard disk work under Freesbie?
Would I be able to mount my existing hard disk slices?

Many thanks,

Chris Rodgers.