FreeBSD on a laptop

Mick Walker mwalker at codegurus.org
Wed May 25 13:23:35 BST 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 12:47 +0100, John North wrote:
> Greetings from sunny Blackpool
Its not so sunny here in Middlesbrough.

> Does FreeBSD work at all on laptops? I'm thinking of getting the
> Evesham Voyager C510 (see link) and will happily ditch
> Windows if FreeBSD will run it.  From browsing Linux and BSD sites I
> get the impression that laptops are too highly optimised to work
> under Windows to stand much chance of working well with anything else.
>
> Regards,
> John

I have no idea how FreeBSD will perform on this laptop. However I run
5.3 fine on my Acer Travelmate 230, I only had a slight problem with
xorg, I had to manually increace the video memory from within the BIOS.
But this was simply a issue with the intel i810 controller. After the
increase however, everything was fine and dandy.

--
Mick Walker
Website: http://www.codegurus.org

Random Quote:
One man's brain plus one other will produce one half as many ideas as
one man would have produced alone. These two plus two more will produce
half again as many ideas. These four plus four more begin to represent a
creative meeting, and the ratio changes to one quarter as many ... --
Anthony Chevins