virginal newbie needs help with starting x window on freebsd5.3

Dominic Marks dom at goodforbusiness.co.uk
Fri May 13 10:31:33 BST 2005

On Friday 13 May 2005 09:42, karl crossman wrote:
> I am a virgin freebsd, i have managed to load freebsd 5.3 on a machine and
> can logon very well however i can't get x windows to start. When i logon
> that little fellow with the spear and ears appear with a menu, but the only
> option seems to be a command line thing, the question is how do i get X
> windows? (i tried startx, but nothing)
>
> Help hekp newbie virgin needs help

You will have to choose what parts to install, and then install them. If you
are new to FreeBSD I suggest you install Xorg and KDE3.4 as it is in my
opinion the best, full featured graphical interface.

http://www.uk.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11.html

Will explain how to do everything.

> Karl

HTH,