Files transferred to FreeBSD from Linux reiserfs - How to chmod?

Geraint Edwards gedge-lists at yadn.org
Thu May 5 08:51:11 BST 2005

CB <charles-brewster at ntlworld.com> said
		(on Thu, May 05, 2005 at 12:56:02AM +0100):

> I expected read-only support for the reiserfs drive, but was able to copy
> everything across to the FreeBSD drive.

This sentence makes alarm bells sound for me - like you're not
telling us something - why do you say "but"?  Surely, if you
mounted it read-only, then copying the files just works.  No ifs,
not buts.

Did you use 'cp' or some other command to copy the files (e.g. tar, cpio, etc)?

> So far so good - but the copied files have permissions -r-xr-xr-x under
> FreeBSD and I'm stumped on how to change the permissions so I can update the
> website.

Check the system flags of those files with:
	ls -lo
and read
	man chflags

For example:

	#####	create a protected file from a normal one and fail to change it...

# ls -lo fubar
-rw-------  1 root  wheel  - 259 Apr  7 22:48 fubar
# chflags schg fubar
# ls -lo fubar
-rw-------  1 root  wheel  schg 259 Apr  7 22:48 fubar
# chmod 644 fubar
chmod: fubar: Operation not permitted

	#####	make it an unprotected file and change it...

# chflags noschg fubar
# chmod 644 fubar
# ls -lo fubar
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  - 259 Apr  7 22:48 fubar

> Logged on as root: "chmod 777 .." just gives an "operation not supported"
> error message

If the above fails, check you're in the right (FreeBSD, not Linux) partition?

--
Geraint A. Edwards (aka "Gedge")
gedge at yadn.org