Potential new user

Dominic Marks dom at goodforbusiness.co.uk
Mon May 2 17:30:46 BST 2005

On Monday 02 May 2005 16:03, Adrian Fisher wrote:
> Hello all :)
>
> I am interested in using FreeBSD but don't know if my computer will run it
> and I am new to Unix (XP Home at present). I want to use it on my laptop
> (Systemax P4 2.8GHz CPU, 1GB Ram with a Radeon 9000 video card (non-shared
> memory) and 60GB HDD.

Vastly over powered :)

> Due to being intended for installation on my laptop I wish to make it as
> secure as possible and use an encrypted file-system if possible. I am

GBDE is good and quite easy to setup.

> currently learning Java and JSP so will need the latest releases for those.

Java is one area in which FreeBSD is comparatively weak. Blame Sun.

> I will also need Asian language support because of plans to include
> languages such as Chinese and Japanese text in my sites as well as
> characters in European languages such as French and Spanish that are not
> found in English.

FreeBSD is popular in Asia and Central Europe so this should be ok.

>  Can FreeBSD be run directly off a CD/DVD like some Linux distro's and
> NetBSD can?

Check out FreeSBIE.

> What about playing DVD films?

mplayer.

> How newbie friendly is it?

I think its quite user friendly. The handbook / google / manual pages or even
IRC can provide answers to most questions. If not there are lots of mailing
lists for specific issues.

> Does it have graphical installation?

Yes! Graphics are used to draw the text.

> How do the official box-sets and download versions differ?

One supports FreeBSD development, I presume. I don't think that the CDs are
modified, but I can't confirm that.

>  Please help.
>  Thanks in advance.
>  A.