routing confusion on home network

Lee Brotherston lee at nerds.org.uk
Tue Mar 15 14:36:52 GMT 2005

Kel Graham wrote:
> ah.. solved it by judicious use of NAT.  Why does FreeBSD say it routes
> between interfaces with a simple "gateway_enable='YES'", when for me this
> wasn't the case? Was it because I have two separate networks, and not just
> different subnets?

Hi Kel,

I suspect that the FreeBSD box was infact routing the traffic fine,
however the netgear router had no routes for 192.168.5.0/24 to enable
the return traffic back (a tcpdump should confirm this).  It would need
a gateway of 192.168.0.26 setting for any 192.168.5.0/24 traffic in the
router.  Using NAT means that the traffic used the address of the
interface on the FreeBSD machine which the router could route too by
virtue of being on the same subnet.

Wow, did I just type that after beer? :)

   Lee