OT: Hard disk

Martin Smith martin at rakupottery.org.uk
Wed Mar 9 00:11:40 GMT 2005

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 11:22:09PM +0000, Chris Rodgers wrote:

> >>Can anyone explain what having the power (not IDE) connected to one of
> >>the other HDD's might be doing? I'm completely puzzled by this, but it's
> >>quite reproducible.
> >>

> >have you tried swapping the power connectors round, the one attached to
> >the new disk may be a bit iffy....
> >just a thought
> >

> Yes, I tried that and remarkably it doesn't affect things. The disk
> doesn't work when the old HDD's aren't powered up, but does when they are.
Well the only other thing I would do would be to grab a meter and check the voltages on the power when it is connected by itself and when there are 2 disks connected. It possibly wont show anything, but it might be interesting, in fact does the new disk spin up when it is on by itself?, probably not I suppose if the bios wont see it? Have you also changed its data cable, is it on an ATA100 cable or an old style cable, how is it jumpered, etc etc
Still it is not as bad as the iMac on my bench which only has 0.5v on the 12v line :)
--
Martin