OT: Hard disk

Chris Rodgers freebsd-users-uk at bulk.rodgers.org.uk
Tue Mar 8 22:49:47 GMT 2005

Hi,

Sorry for asking a non-FreeBSD question here, but perhaps you can help
anyway...

I have been having trouble with a Maxtor hard disk. I have just received
a new disk from Maxtor and taken it out of the packaging a couple of
hours ago. After messing around installing Maxtor's EZBoot (something
like that?) boot overlay software, my old machine now recognises all
120GB. I formatted a small partition in the first 1GB or so and all
seems to be fine. HOWEVER, when I disconnect the other two disks in the
system (both IDE and power connectors) and try to boot off the new one,
it just makes a slight clicking noise, is no longer recognised by the
BIOS and the system doesn't boot. YET, if I connect the power to one of
the original disks (with the IDE connectors still not plugged in) the
system now boots fine, the BIOS detects the new disk and begins to boot
off it....

Can anyone explain what having the power (not IDE) connected to one of
the other HDD's might be doing? I'm completely puzzled by this, but it's
quite reproducible.

Thanks a lot,

Chris.