BSD is dying

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Fri Jul 29 15:28:06 BST 2005

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 09:06:07PM +1000, David Gerard wrote:

> Frank Shute (frank at esperance-linux.co.uk) [050729 02:58]:
>
> > I don't have any problems with it, which is why I tend not to post and
> > I'm guessing most people are probably in a similar boat. I think a
> > goodly proportion of posters on this list have used FreeBSD for a good
> > few years and know how to sort out problems/use Google groups.
>

> Mmm. My main problem with FreeBSD as a desktop is that the Linux compat
> layer in 5.x seems notably less stable than the one on 4.x (speicifically,
> running Linux nightly builds of Mozilla). Linux-Mozilla also seems to hang
> weirdly at times on FreeBSD, which I wouldn't mention except it's happening
> for a friend I set onto FreeBSD as well. No idea where to start on getting
> these resolved, I'm a sysadmin not a programmer.

Any reason why you're running the linux mozilla rather than the native
one? Because of plug-ins?

> > I think FreeBSD a few years ago was restricted to grey hairs like me
> > but now I see youngsters picking it up in preference to Linux ("ports
> > rocks!!!") on Slashdot.
>

> And if more of the ports still worked with 4.x ... ;-)

I guess I must have been lucky, I've got 300 odd ports on this 4.11
box and they seem to be working but I know they are now effectively
time-bombed.

I've loaded 5.4 on my laptop but can't do anything with it until I've
got a working PCMCIA NIC :(

Anybody got one they want to get rid of? 10Mbs would do.

--

 Frank

echo "f r a n k @ e s p e r a n c e - l i n u x . c o . u k" | sed 's/ //g'

                      --->PGP keyID: 0x10BD6F4B<---