BSD is dying

Mark Blackman mark at blackmans.org
Thu Jul 28 23:13:14 BST 2005

On 28 Jul 2005, at 14:39, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Paul Richards wrote:
>

>> and seems pretty much dead in the UK based on this list.
>>
>> Although I'm being a bit flippant, since this list has become
>> totally inactive recently I've also been trawling job lists a lot
>> in the last few months and BSD has vanished from the UK job market
>> too.
>>
>> Anyone got any comments on how they see the state of BSD in
>> general and FreeBSD in particular in the UK at the moment?
>>

> Gosh, you guys are a depressing lot. :-)

Plenty of e-mails anyway, so not quite dead in the UK.

FreeBSD has just retreated completely into the server/embedded space,
which is a bit on the unsexy side for much casual discussion.
Personally,
I just got too busy to offer much spare time to evangelize or
anything else in the FreeBSD promotion. FreeBSD just isn't distinctive
enough any more to justify a self-sustaining socially-oriented
subculture. It's become more the engine under the hood, rather
than the car.

Plenty of ISPs in the UK still run FreeBSD, not to mention Yahoo!
with a couple thousand FreeBSD machines at Goswell Road in London.

FreeBSD &

- Mark