BSD is dying

Dominic Marks dom at goodforbusiness.co.uk
Thu Jul 28 22:35:56 BST 2005

On Thursday 28 July 2005 10:50, Paul Richards wrote:
> and seems pretty  much dead in the UK based on this list.
>
> Although I'm being a bit flippant, since this list has become totally
> inactive recently I've also been trawling job lists a lot in the last
> few months and BSD has vanished from the UK job market too.
>
> Anyone got any comments on how they see the state of BSD in general
> and FreeBSD in particular in the UK at the moment?
>
> Paul

I'm pushing FreeBSD at my new employers, and have already deployed some
utility machines with it. But the real problem is these machines are
peripheral to the core of the Business, which is all based on Java
and .Net. A web cache here, a firewall there - replacing appliance
devices because its *cheaper*.

The UK BSD scene seems particularly stagnant, it is a shame. I didn't
even bother looking for BSD related jobs as I knew it would a hopeless
task.

So instead I spend 90% of my day installing Windows 2003 Server in
various permutations. I think the real problem is that BSD is not seen
as a serious *development* platform, so nobody builds their application
using FreeBSD (or any BSD) as a platform. For the record my current
employer is a big player in the GIS (Geographic Information Systems)
market, and they do really cool stuff, but definately NOT on BSD,
because the developers are too hard to find and the development tools
do not offer the integrated IDE-ness of Visual Studio / NetBeans / etc.

I would dearly love to work full-time with FreeBSD, but who uses it? I
never hear about companies who do... Hello? Talented young
admin/developer here who would love to work with FreeBSD full time,
very happy to travel if need be!!

I must be one of the few people who dislike the OS X GUI intensely so it
has not been a draw to me at all. Most places I've worked at have never
heard of anything BSD, the better places have only a vague idea what it
is. Windows and Solaris seem to be dominant, with Linux, specifically
CentOS, supplying the budget market.

That combined with no "real" support for Java or .Net development (or a
suitable replacement) make FreeBSD in the workplace a myth, at least in
my universe.

:(

--
Dominic Marks